Brentford produced arguably the overall performance of the season to thrash Chelsea four-1 at Stamford Bridge, with Christian Eriksen some of the aim scorers as they sealed a first west London derby victory at their competitors in 83 years.
Thomas Frank’s side inspired inside the first half however trailed 3 mins into the second one while Antonio Rudiger fired home an awesome thunderbolt from 40 yards.
Rudiger and Chelsea supporters celebrated the purpose-of-the-season contender wildly – and no person anticipated what changed into to come back next.
Vitaly Janelt blasted in an equaliser from the edge of the field simply two mins later, sparking a spell which saw the two teams slug away at every different. During the chaos, Kristoffer Ajer pulled off a remarkable block to disclaim Kai Havertz.
But it turned into the Bees who then struck once more with a lightning breakaway led with the aid of Bryan Mbeumo, who teed up Eriksen to tuck in the 2d from near variety.
It’s another chapter in the fairy-tale go back to football for Eriksen, who suffered a cardiac arrest at the Euros final summer but marked his comeback to the international degree with dreams in two video games for Denmark closing week.
As for the Brentford story, that looks set to hold inside the Premier League subsequent season after this superb win.
Chelsea: Mendy (5), Azpilicueta (5), Rudiger (7), Silva (6), Alonso (four), Kante (5), Loftus-Cheek (5), Mount (5), Werner (4), Ziyech (6), Havertz (5).
Subs: James (6), Kovacic (6), Lukaku (5).
Brentford: Raya (eight), Henry (7), Pinnock (7), Jansson (7), Ajer (8), Norgaard (8), Eriksen (8), Janelt (nine), Roerslev (7), Mbeumo (8), Toney (7).
Subs: Jensen (6), Wissa (eight) Canos (N/A).
Man of the Match: Vitaly Janelt
- How the groups covered Match stats
- Premier League desk Fixtures found the net again on the hour mark after a exquisite pass from Ivan Toney and although Chelsea threw themselves ahead on the lookout for a purpose again – and concept they were given one when Havertz had a aim dominated out and ought to have were given one when Havertz rolled a shot from a one-on-one extensive – sub Yoane Wissa capitalised on Rudiger’s negative clearance to fireplace in a fourth.Image:Yoane Wissa blasts in Brentford’s fourth at Chelsea”Champions of Europe? You’re having amusing,” sang the travelling supporters, witnessing one of the best days of their club’s history.Team news
- Chelsea made four modifications from their FA Cup win at Middlesbrough, with Romelu Lukaku dropping to the bench and Kai Havertz starting off the front. Marcos Alonso took Malang Sarr’s place at left-again, N’Golo Kante came in for Mateo Kovacic in midfield, whilst Timo Werner replaced Christian Pulisic in attack.
- Brentford made two modifications from the side which misplaced 2-1 at Leicester earlier than the worldwide ruin. Christian Eriksen and Mads Roerslev came into the facet, with Yoane Wissa and Mathias Jensen dropped to the bench.
- Brentford have beaten Chelsea for the primary time in 9 meetings in all competitions, given that a 3-1 away win within the top-flight in February 1939.
- Brentford’s four-1 win towards Chelsea is the joint-largest Premier League away victory for a newly promoted group towards a side beginning the day inside the pinnacle three of the table (also Leeds 3-0 Aston Villa in October 2020).
- Chelsea have misplaced with the aid of three or more dreams in a Premier League London derby at Stamford Bridge for just the second time, after a zero-three defeat to Arsenal in April 1997.
- Chelsea have conceded 4 or more goals in the Premier League at home to a newly promoted aspect for just the second time (additionally 2-five in opposition to West Brom in April 2021), both activities beneath Thomas Tuchel.
- Brentford’s Christian Eriksen scored his first Premier League goal given that December 2019 (for Tottenham against Norwich), he’s been at once involved in 8 goals (three dreams, 5 assists) against Chelsea inside the competition, with all three dreams arriving at Stamford Bridge.
- Antonio Rüdiger’s opener (39.6 yards) turned into Chelsea’s longest variety Premier League purpose in view that Frank Lampard against Wigan in January 2007 (45.1 yards).