Song Kang plays a promising ballerino in ‘Navillera’Netflix
The Korean dramas released in 2021 had been an eclectic blend of melodramatic mysteries, dark fantasies, revenge stories and fluffy romance. My list of the first-class dramas consists of some hits and a few dramas you may have overlooked. Dramas such as Squid Game and Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha dominated the charts and don’t need any creation, however possibly viewers haven’t begun to find out some of the subsequent.
1. True Beauty. Can makeup motion pictures educate you to like your unadorned face? Ju-kyung, played by using Moon Ga-young, is bullied at college and develops an inferiority complicated approximately her looks. When she learns a way to follow makeup and transfers to any other faculty, she’s all of sudden famous sufficient to attract two good-looking college students, performed by means of Hwang In-yeop and Cha Eun-woo. But could they love her in the event that they saw her unadorned face? Why see it: Moon’s comic-e book-loving character—drawn directly from a web comedian—is likable amusing.
2. Beyond Evil. Star Shin Ha-kyun received a Best Actor award on the 2021 Baeksang Awards for his incredible overall performance in this dark drama approximately a serial killer and his complicated ties to at least one small metropolis. Yeo Jin-goo plays the detective who thinks Shin, a fellow detective, is complicit inside the killings. The tale explores the definition of evil by using slowly unveiling the ways the residents are related to the crimes. Why see it: Shin’s facial expressions are haunting.
3. Navillera. Is there an age restriction on your dreams? Not for 70-12 months-antique Shim Deok -chul, performed by means of Park In-hwan. He desires to analyze ballet, so he strategies Lee Chae-rok, performed by means of Song Kang, a talented younger ballerino who’s turning into discouraged approximately his personal career. Why see it: A scene wherein Park dances within the snow might be one of the loveliest scenes ever filmed in dramas. It’s one among many touching scenes.
four. Vincenzo. It’s to begin with hard to know what to make of Vincenzo, a tale about a Korean legal professional who works for the mafia, however that’s part of what makes it addictive. The drama gleefully switches genres some times while playing cinematic homage to The Godfather, Carrie, The Birds and other films. Why see it? The drama consists of many outrageous scenes as campy as they may be dramatic. Song Joong-ki, Jeon Yeo-been and Ok Taecyeon embody their cartoonish characters and the eccentric assisting solid is quite funny.
Jung Yong-hwa and Jang Nara evict ghosts and make the sale in ‘Sell Your Haunted House.’KBS2
5. Sell Your Haunted House wins a mention because of the smart premise. There are folks who exorcise ghosts and there are people who tidy up real estate for a fast sale, but the real property agency run by Jang Nara finds out why ghosts are creating a assets unsaleable, then evicts them, and makes a sale. She hires a con guy who claims to see ghosts, performed by Jung Yong-hwa. Why see it? Jang Nara as a female dwelling with her mother’s ghost may be very relatable—even if you don’t believe in ghosts.
6. Move To Heaven. The ex-con performed through Lee Je-hoon thinks he’s headed for easy avenue as soon as he inherits the whole thing from his older brother, however what he inherits is his autistic nephew, performed deftly by using Tang Joon-sang, and their commercial enterprise, which clears out the remains of the from time to time nameless dead. Why see it? There is some thing very transferring about the respect with which Tang’s individual allows remedy the tales of the departed.
7. Youth of May This drama is about towards the background of the Gwangju uprising. In 1980 pupil protests broke out in Korea and had been tragically met by means of violence. Kim Myeong-hee, performed by way of Go Min-si, is going on a blind date as a substitute for her rich friend and meets Hwang Hee-tae, a scientific scholar played by Lee Do-hyun. They are best for every other, however have little hazard to be together before getting caught in the crossfire. Why see it: Youth of May places a human face on the tragic effects of the uprising, even as telling a universal story.
‘Youth of May,’ starring Lee Do-hyun, is ready throughout Korea’s democratic rebellion.KBS2
8. Mine is a dark fairy story and additionally a especially stylized thriller. Lee Bo-young plays a popular actress, who married into a chaebol circle of relatives. She is as sunny as Snow White, but the other family individuals are alternately slothful, greedy, quarrelsome and downright evil. When someone is murdered there are such a lot of possibly villains. The chaebol family lives in a museum-length mansion, entire with piles of ruby purple apples and poisoned relationships. The curse of wealth and strength threatens the romance between the family’s prince and a Cinderella maid. Why see it? The dressmaker garments worn by means of Lee and Kim So-hyung are enviably stylish and luxurious. It’s an unique thriller and additionally a story of sisterhood and lady empowerment.
9. My Roommate is a Gumiho. This sweet and fluffy drama might remind you of Beauty and The Beast or Twilight, Korean fashion. While the supernatural tale explores the attempted-and-authentic k-drama trope of very one of a kind human beings—or in this example a human and a gumiho—being pressured to stay together, it does so with a light contact and a high-quality cast. Why see it? There is appealing chemistry among the leads Jang Ki-yong and Lee Hyeri. Supporting actors Kang Han-na, Bae In-hyuk and Kim Do-wan provide masses of snickers. It’s obvious absolutely everyone had fun filming it.
10. The Devil Judge takes place in a dystopian future, a time in which corruption is rampant and poor human beings are truly feeling abused. Sound familiar? It’s meant to. The display is about in the future while a televised courtroom can provide a few sudden verdicts towards the rich and effective, drawing massive public assist. Ji Sung plays the so-known as “satan judge” and GOT7’s Jinyoung is a fellow choose who starts offevolved to doubt his ethics. Why see it? Strong performances and the parody of some too-close-for-consolation political realities make it more than profitable. The drama offers a glimpse of a dystopian destiny packed with massive screens, one which eerily echoes the present.
11. Lost, starring Ryu Jun-yeol and Jeon Do-yeon, did no longer get the ratings it deserved due to the fact the plot become melancholy for so long that many visitors gave up wish. That’s ironic as it’s a tale about people who have given up wish and how a random non-public stumble upon ultimately makes their lives well worth living. Why see it: The moody romantic drama incorporates some remarkable cinematic scenes and memorable strains, as well as awesome performances from the stars.
12. One The Woman. This sassy story approximately a difficult-speakme, raised-by using-gangsters prosecutor begins with a pretty fantastic premise. After a automobile twist of fate Honey Lee’s character wakes up and thinks she is the wealthy lady she constantly dreamed of being. Complicating fact is the fact that her new chaebol own family thinks so too. Lee’s scrumptious comedy competencies make even the wildest state of affairs believable and she generates wonderful chemistry together with her co-big name Lee Sang-yoon. Why see it: Honey Lee trounces a gang with out breaking a fingernail. Lee’s facet eye is memorable.
Honey Lee, also called Lee Ha-na, performs two roles in ‘One The Woman.’SBS
thirteen. D.P. explores hazing inside the South Korean navy, a trouble that has obtained renewed attention given that 2011. Jung Hae-in plays a soldier who signs and symptoms directly to pursue deserters, partially to be able to keep away from being bullied. In his military role he have to chase some soldiers who are fleeing bullying themselves. Why see it: The drama painfully documents what may prompt a few army personnel to desolate tract. Jung Hae-in gives a thoughtful overall performance as a person determined to carry out his duty, regardless of his personal doubts.
14. Melancholia is the story of a math prodigy, traumatized via his past. Math is the maximum exciting issue imaginable for him, but he’s afraid to be suitable on the very challenge he’s talented in. A type math trainer, performed by way of Lim Soo-jung, turns his existence around on the expense of her own reputation. She’s being a great trainer however while the two commune over math, it’s difficult now not to see sparks fly. Why see it: Lee Do-hyun provides a diffused performance because the principled math prodigy and viewers will love to hate the drama’s many rich, outlandishly entitled characters.
15. Reflection of You. At the beginning of Reflection of You, a painter, performed via Ko Hyun-jung, throws a body into the river. The moodily stunning mystery sets you as much as wonder which person’s frame it’s far—and keeps you guessing. Is it Shin Hyun-bi, who performs the painter’s former friend and cutting-edge enemy. Or is it Choi Won-younger, who performs her deceptively type husband. It might also be Kim Jae-younger, her impulsive ex-lover. Why see it? Great appearing all around, consisting of Choi, who was so desirable as a risky husband in My Dangerous Wife. Also, Wuthering Heights enthusiasts may discover it darkly scrumptious.